The healthy smile your life depends on
Routine Hygiene Cleanings
Patients who are periodontally healthy, without gum pocketing, bleeding, bone loss or heavy plaque accumulation, generally receive a routine “cleaning” and polishing.
Periodontal Scaling and Root Planing
When we discover signs of gum disease, we often recommend scaling and root planing treatments. This more extensive treatment frequently helps our patients return to optimal periodontal health, and may eliminate the need for periodontal surgery. For patients with more isolated areas of gum disease, we offer localized treatment with medications placed directly into the affected area.
We are frequently asked what causes periodontal disease. This condition starts out as gingivitis, which is a progressive concentration of inflammation of the gums. As bacteria living in the plaque on your teeth infects the surrounding gum tissue, this condition develops into periodontal disease. Gingivitis and periodontal disease, can be caused by the following:
- Changes in hormones – During pregnancy, puberty, menopause and menstruation, gums are extra-sensitive.
- Immune system compromising illnesses – Cancer, diabetes and HIV tend to weaken the immune system.
- Medications – Certain medications can reduce the flow of saliva and cause dry mouth. Saliva helps to protect your mouth from harmful bacteria.
- Habitual behaviors – Smoking and grinding your teeth are culprits in increased risk of gum disease.
- Family history – Hereditary causes can play a role in periodontal disease.